German football club, Borussia Dortmund have confirmed that Christian Pulisic will join Chelsea for €64m (£58m), with the United States forward to be loaned back to the club until the end of the season.The 20-year-old, who joined Dortmund as a youth player in 2015 was linked with Liverpool and Arsenal. He has made 80 appearances for Dortmund and 23 for the US.Confirming the move to Chelsea, BVB’s sporting director, Michael Zorc said: “It was always Christian’s dream to play in the Premier League. That certainly has to do with his American background, and as a result we were unable to extend his contract. Against this background, we have decided to accept an extremely lucrative bid by Chelsea, given the low contract maturity.“Christian Pulisic is a character perfect player. I am sure that in the coming months he will do everything in his power to bring his high quality to the team and to achieve his sporting goals with his teammates at Borussia Dortmund.”Speaking to Chelsea’s website, Pulisic said it was “a privilege to have signed for such a legendary club and I look forward to working hard towards being a contributor to their team of world class players”.He later added in a statement: “[I am] looking forward to working with Maurizio Sarri and his technical team. But for the next six months, it’s all BVB! Please do not doubt my passion, determination and my 110% commitment to the tea, right until the last ball is kicked this season. We all feel that this is ‘our year’ and we are determined to achieve the best possible results in all competitions.”The £58m fee for Pulisic is now the highest transfer fee for an American player, beating the 20m euros Wolfsburg paid for John Brooks in 2017.
Home Posts under SPORTS
Wednesday, January 2, 2019
Sunday, November 4, 2018
Chelsea forward, Eden Hazard is waiting for a signal from Real Madrid before he decides on his future at Stamford Bridge, according to reports.
The Belgian has been seriously linked with a move to Madrid after last summer’s World Cup and has admitted in several interviews that a transfer to the Bernabeu is his dream.
However, Hazard is eternally grateful to his current club for everything they’ve done for him since his move from Lille six years ago, and he’s loving playing under his new manager, Maurizio Sarri.
The 27-year old has less than two years to run on his current contract at the club and Chelsea need to make a decision before the end of the season as they may prefer to cash in on their prized asset rather than allowing him to leave on a free transfer in 2020.
The club is prepared to make Hazard the highest paid player in the its history but the 27-year-old is waiting for news from the La Liga giants before deciding on a new deal, according to the Telegraph UK.
The three times Champions League holders are in the process of replacing sacked boss, Julen Lopetegui and have not yet started their planning for next summer.
However, Real are expected to invest heavily in their attack after failing to replace their star player, Cristiano Ronaldo last summer.
Chelsea, on their part, will do anything possible to convince Hazard that Stamford Bridge remains the place for him.
The Blues board also feel they offer Hazard the best chance of winning the Ballon d’Or.
Bolt, who retired from athletics last year, has long dreamed of becoming a soccer player and had been training with the Mariners since August.
Superstar sprinter Usain Bolt is adamant he can become a professional footballer despite his trial with an Australian club ending, insisting Saturday: “I still have it”.
The eight-time Olympic champion’s “indefinite” try-out period with the A-League’s Central Coast Mariners collapsed on Friday after contract talks failed.
The club reportedly offered him only a fraction of the Aus$3 million (US$2.1 million) his managers were seeking, and the outside sponsors needed to make the deal viable could not be found.
“It’s sad that it didn’t work out,” the Jamaican 100m and 200m world record holder told Melbourne’s Herald Sun newspaper at the Derby Day horse races in Melbourne, where he arrived in a suit, sunglasses and with a gold-handled cane.“But we parted on good terms, and that’s a good thing.“I had a great experience with them. The guys were great — we just couldn’t work out things with the contract, but hopefully I get another chance with another team.”
Bolt, who retired from athletics last year, has long dreamed of becoming a soccer player and had been training with the Mariners since August, sparking global interest when he scored two goals in a pre-season friendly.
But the staunch Manchester United fan’s abilities were questioned by pundits and some players and he has now had trials with clubs in Germany, South Africa, Norway, and Australia to no avail.
Buhari gives scorecard, says nation’s institutions working
Asked if he would keep pursuing his quest to become a footballer despite another setback, the 32-year-old said: “For sure.
“We’ll see what happens. I think people are still contacting my agent now about opportunities, so we’ll see in which direction it goes.“For me, I’ve learned that I still have it.“I figure that I was improving a lot, so as you can see from the first game to the last game, I really improved and did better. I’ve learned that it’s a little bit harder, but it’s all about dedication and work with the team.”
Bolt recently turned down a trial-free contract from cashed-up Maltese champions Valletta to focus on trying to make the grade in Australia.
He has been urged by the head of the Jamaican FA to return home and play for a local club, with the prospect that he could be called up for international duty.
Wednesday, October 31, 2018
Former Chelsea boss, Antonio Conte, is aware that Real Madrid want to hire Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho, and has decided to wait and takeover at Old Tradfford, Gazzetta dello Sport reports.
Conte is focused on replacing Mourinho as Manchester United manager.
The report also claimed that another reason United is an attractive option for Conte is the prospect of managing Paul Pogba once again after working with the midfielder for two successful seasons at Juventus.
The 49-year-old was sacked by Chelsea in the summer and was tipped to take over at Real Madrid after Julen Lopetegui was sacked on Monday.
Real Madrid have, however, promoted Santiago Solari from their team B to manage the first team on a temporary basis after talks with Conte hit a stumbling block.
Gazzetta dello Sport reports that Real Madrid president, Florentino Perez is considering bringing Jose Mourinho back to the Santiago Bernabeu.
Mourinho’s job at Manchester United has come under threat after a poor start to the campaign.
The newspaper reports that Conte is aware of Madrid’s interest in re-hiring Mourinho, and would be keen on taking over at United if the 55-year-old decides to return to Spain.
The Italian gaffer is also a huge admirer of Alexis Sanchez and had wanted to sign the Chilean during his time at Chelsea.
Juventus manager, Max Allegri has named forward, Cristiano Ronaldo, as the player that deserves to win this year’s Ballon d’Or award.
Recall that Ronaldo was shortlisted for the 2018 Ballon d’Or award earlier this month.
Allegri believes Ronaldo deserves to win the biggest individual prize because of his achievement this year.
“Cristiano deserves to win the Ballon d’Or for everything he’s done – the goals he’s scored, the trophies he’s won and what he’s doing this season too,” Allegri told Juventus’ official website.
“He’s world-class. He’s taken us to another level because he’s brought international experience and he’s raised everyone’s belief.”
Ronaldo and Barcelona star, Lionel Messi have both dominated the award in the past decade.
The pair have won an incredible five awards each in that time frame, with Ronaldo equalling Messi’s tally last year.
The 2018 Ballon d’ Or award will take place on December 3, 2018 in Paris.
The Juventus and Barcelona superstars still hold a special place in the heart of the Brazil international as he looks to reach their level.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are the benchmark and players to learn from, according to Brazil and Paris Saint-Germain superstar Neymar.
The 26-year-old played alongside Messi at Barcelona, and regularly squared off with Juventus and Portugal sensation Cristiano Ronaldo during his spell in La Liga with Real Madrid.
Neymar has carved out a career of his own as one of the elite players in world football, and has netted 39 goals in just 43 games with PSG, as well as scoring 105 times in 186 games for Barca.
Nevertheless, he remains in awe of the talents of the duo, who have established a stranglehold on the Ballon d’Or over the last decade.
“Facing Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo – and I played with Messi, who is, for me, one of the greatest footballers of all time, and he is my idol in football,” he told the Players’ Tribune .“With Messi, I learned every day, whether during our practice, or playing with him, or just watching him play. And that made me stronger and it increased my capacity on the field because I kept learning a lot from him.“As for Cristiano Ronaldo, he is a monster. Facing him is a pleasure and an honor, but we have to be more prepared. He is one of the greatest in football so you get smarter, you get alert, but at the same time you learn a lot, too.“So, they are two of the big guys that I can relate to, because I want to learn, I want more, I want to win, I want more trophies, score more goals … so I keep learning from them every day.”
Ronaldo has enjoyed a superb start to life in Serie A, scoring seven goals and providing five assists in 10 appearances for the Bianconeri thus far this term.
Messi, meanwhile, is currently injured, and missed the recent 5-1 Clasico thumping of Real Madrid. Amazingly, he has exactly the same numbers as Ronaldo, netting seven goals and laying on five assists.
PSG, Barcelona and Juventus all currently lead their respective leagues.
French giants, Paris Saint Germain will only sign Alexis Sanchez from Manchester United if the club allows him to go for free.
PSG are keen on a deal for Manchester United’s Sanchez, who has struggled at the club since joining last January from Arsenal despite his incredible £500,000 a week wages.
United are already considering letting the Chile international go if they can get a buyer.
The Sun UK reports that the French giants are keen on landing the player and could make a move in the summer.
However, the report claimed they want a bargain for the Chile winger, and could even ask for him on a free.
A source at PSG told the newspaper, “There has been some whispers that PSG want to take Alexis off of the club next summer.
“It’s no secret he has struggled and not lived up to the expectations. He isn’t getting any younger and it might never work for him.
“There was interest before the club signed him but he preferred staying in England at the time. That may have changed now.
“One of their top stars could go and it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that a deal could be struck between the two clubs.”
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
Wednesday, September 26, 2018
Saturday, June 30, 2018
Maradona had celebrated Argentine’s second goal by raising his middle finger at fans who were trolling him when the score was at 1-1 draw.
FIFA had considered his behavior embarrassing and hence will no longer be entitled to the fee he do receives from the world soccer governing body for bringing the spotlight to any world cup match he witnessed live.
He has also been urged to be of good behavior in the remaining games he’s going to watch at the world cup if he is to avoid a possible stadium ban.
Thursday, May 17, 2018
Arsenal have launched a cash bid for West Brom defender, Jonny Evans.
The Gunners have a long-term interest in the Northern Ireland international.
The Emirates club had failed with an offer for Evans worth £10m plus right-back, Mathieu Debuchy during January transfer window.
Evans is available for just £3million due to a relegation release clause in his contract.
TransferMarketWeb reports that, “Arsnal’s chiefs are trying their luck again, this time tabling a cash bid for Evan’s signature.”
The report added that an exact fee was not mentioned but it would likely meet the 31-year-old bargain buyout clause.
Arsenal will now face competition from Premier League rivals, Manchester City, who also want to sign the defender.
City had an £18m bid for Evans knocked back by West Brom chiefs last summer.
Evans joined the Baggies from United for £6m in 2015 and has one year left on his contract with West Ham.
Meanwhile, West Brom caretaker manager, Darren Moore had previously refused to address Evans’ situation.
Speaking last month about Evans’ future at West Brom, Moore told reporters: “I’m delighted that he’s here at the football club, really pleased to have the opportunity to work with him and may that continue.
“What happens with Jonny in the future, we can’t comment on that now. That isn’t decided yet. He’s still under contract at the football club. Everybody will speculate, I can’t control that.”
West Ham are planning on making a move for Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez, according to Sky sources.
The Spaniard almost became Hammers boss in the summer of 2015 before they were gazumped by Real Madrid.
West Ham co-owner David Sullivan remains on good terms with Benitez.
Benitez is believed to have a £6m release clause in his Newcastle contract and wants assurances about his transfer budget before committing his long-term future to the club.
The 58-year-old remains in discussions over a contract extension in the north-east, as his present deal has only 12 months left to run.
Benitez has earned plaudits for guiding the Magpies to an impressive 10th-place finish in the Premier League, capped by a 3-0 romp against Chelsea on the final day.
Sky Sports News also reported on Wednesday that West Ham had met with representatives of former Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini, although it is understood wages are a major stumbling block.
The Hammers confirmed earlier in the day that David Moyes would not return to his role as manager following the expiration of his six-month deal.
Hammers co-owner David Sullivan said: “We aim to appoint a high-calibre figure who we feel will lead the club into an exciting future for our loyal supporters within the next 10 days.”
West Ham are also interested in Paulo Fonseca, manager of Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk.
Arsenal will hold talks with Mikel Arteta on Thursday about becoming their new manager, according to Sky sources.
Former Gunners midfielder Arteta is the leading candidate to succeed Arsene Wenger and if appointed, he would be handed a transfer budget in the region of £50m this summer.
The Arsenal executives, who are responsible for choosing the new manager, are also understood to be holding talks on Thursday.
They are expected to include chief executive Ivan Gazidis, head of football relations Raul Sanllehi and head of recruitment Sven Mislintat.
Gazidis wants the successful candidate to fulfil a head coach role to fit into the club’s new management structure.
Arteta is assistant coach at Manchester City and Pep Guardiola said he will not stand in the 36-year-old’s way if he is offered the Arsenal job.
It is understood the Spaniard will be allowed to bring in his own backroom staff.
Arsenal want to make an appointment before the World Cup begins next month.
Dimitri Payet’s World Cup hopes were dealt a blow on Wednesday when he went off injured during Marseille’s Europa League final defeat by Atletico Madrid.
The France international started the match in Lyon despite suffering with a thigh strain before kick off.
However, the midfielder came off in tears in the 32nd minute and was replaced by Maxime Lopez.
Payet missed Friday’s draw at Guingamp but declared himself ready to play in the final, the day before the game.
The 31-year-old had to watch the remainder of the game from the sidelines as fellow Frenchman Antoine Griezmann scored twice in the Spanish side’s 3-0 win.
The former West Ham United playmaker was a key figure in France’s run to the Euro 2016 final, although he has not featured for the national team since 10 October.
Payet had made a strong bid for a recall to the international stage with an impressive run of form, which included inspiring Marseille to the Europa League final, but his injury may have ended his chances of playing in the tournament.
France manager Didier Deschamps is set to announce his squad on Thursday.
Juventus and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is expected to announce his retirement at a news conference at the Allianz Stadium in Turin on Thursday.
Buffon, 40, captained Juventus to a seventh straight Serie A title and fourth consecutive Coppa Italia triumph this season.
The former Parma goalkeeper could make his 640th and final Serie A appearance against Hellas Verona on Sunday.
“There will never be another Gigi,” Buffon’s agent told Italian media.
Silvano Martina added: “I can’t add anything more because he will reveal what he’s going to do next to the press.”
Buffon is scheduled to appear in front of the media at 10:30 BST.
He is facing a Uefa ban for comments made about English referee Michael Oliver, who sent him off during the Champions League semi-final defeat by Real Madrid.
Buffon had said Oliver has “a bag of rubbish for a heart” and should “sit in the stands with your wife, your kids, having your drink and eating crisps”.
Italy’s most capped player with 176, Buffon could make his international farewell on 4 June in a friendly against the Netherlands.
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
The Catalans are on the verge of finishing the LaLiga season unbeaten, having already wrapped up the title and the Copa del Rey.
However, Barca bowed out of the Champions League at the quarter-final stage and club bosses are determined to launch an assault on the competition next term.
They are ready to meet Antoine Griezmann’s release clause, but will clear the decks to make room for new arrivals.
According to Sport, Lucas Digne, Andre Gomes, Paco Alcacer, Denis Suarez, Aleix Vidal are among those who could leave.
Rafinha (Inter), Munir El Haddadi (Alaves) and Gerard Deulofeu (Watford) have spent spells away from the club on loan and could depart on a permanent basis.
Friday, May 4, 2018
Steven Gerrard has been appointed Rangers manager on a four-year deal.
The former Liverpool captain agreed terms on the contract in London on Thursday night.
He has been working as a Liverpool academy coach since April last year, but will take up his new position at Ibrox at the end of the season.
“I am honoured to become the next manager of Rangers.
“I have enormous respect for this football club, and its history and tradition.
“I can’t wait to start this new journey at Rangers as we look to build on the many successes that this club has achieved,” Gerrard said.
Rangers director of football, Mark Allen, also spoke on why they went for the 37-year-old.
Allen said: “From the moment we met with Steven to discuss this opportunity, we felt that his ambitions and desire to succeed equalled our own for the club.
“Make no mistake, Steven fully understands the demands that come with managing a club of this stature and we look forward to exciting times ahead.”